Monday, February 10, 2014

Boeing Boeing

I'm a few weeks late, sorry!

Boeing Boeing started the last weekend of January.  We decided to go with mostly French music, as the play is set in Paris.  The script was written in the 1960's but the theatre decided to set it in the 70's, for some reason.  That didn't make much difference to me, as the time period is not really an issue when it came to music.

But I did try to play only stuff from the 70's and earlier.  The preshow is all instrumental, Billy Vaughn, Bert Kaempfert, and things in that style.  The intermission is all French, mostly Edith Piaf, Jacques Brel, Charles Aznavour, etc.  The music at the beginning and end of each scene is of the musette style, which is French Accordion music.  Some is old, some is new.

The exit music is "C'est Si Bon" but I went with the Emilie-Claire Barlow version instead of Eartha Kitt.  Wrong time period, but so much easier to listen to night after night.

As for sound effects, there would not be a lot, except the director added a whole bunch.  They couldn't find a way to make a front door close, because of the way the set is constructed.  So I'm providing that with a sound effect.  Yes, it doesn't sound particularly real to have a slamming door coming out of a speaker but the director liked it.  She also added a toilet flush for comic effect when one of the male characters goes into the washroom.  No problem, I have a great sound effect I have used many times before, and I'm sure will use again.  The phone rings three times in the show but, because it is the 70's it is the old fashioned wired type so we can use the ringer for that, no sound effect needed.  The only sound effect that is called for in the script is a vacuum cleaner sound, which was pretty easy to find on the internet.

That's it for that show.  Next one coming is "No Sex Please We're British" which we did previously in 2007.  So the good news is, I already have the music and sound effects from then.  I may change a few things, or it may go exactly the same way.  I haven't decided yet.

I am going to a concert day after tomorrow, Elton John in Oshawa.  My seats aren't great but the GM Centre isn't that big so it should be okay.  Review, and pictures (I hope) to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment