Thursday, August 15, 2013

Last Chance Romance, and apology

Well first, the apology.

If you read my concert reviews I have to apologize for the last one, about Emilie-Claire Barlow.  My review sucked.  I enjoyed the concert, I love Emilie and she is a great performer, but I waited too long to write the review.  I had forgotten what songs she performed, and lots of other little details.  I even made a comment in the review how, if I were a real reviewer I would have the names of the musicians, and that's no excuse.  Tomorrow night I am seeing the Rascals and I promise I will write the review on Saturday.  I may not have it up right away but, believe me, I will write the majority of it while it's still fresh in my mind.  So sorry readers, and, particularly to Emilie-Claire, if she should ever read this.

Another excuse for a photo of Emilie from Picton in 2012


Okay, on to the next play, "Last Chance Romance" by Sam Bobrick, which opens next week.  It seems like a funny play--a lonely, shy guy takes a year to build up the courage to call a woman whose Mothers met on a bus, and ask her out.  Unfortunately she turns out to be a looney, along with the rest of her family.  Eight roles, played by four actors (in our production, anyway).

Only sound effects called for are the digital phone calls.  Two different phones with distinctly different rings, from opposite sides of the stage.  Piece of cake.  As well, there's a park scene.  I haven't been, but I may be asked to put in some bird sounds here.  And a couple of restaurant scenes, in which I may get asked to do restaurant background sounds.  No problem if I'm asked, as I've done both before.  I'm not sure how necessary either sound is, so I'm not offering.  But if the director asks, I'll be ready.

As for music, it's modern day so anything goes.  I decided to do mostly romantic music, as the title suggests, even though the actual play is anything but after the first scene.  There are eight scenes in Act 1, and four scenes in Act 2, so I need lots of music.



The preshow and intermission are the main places I need music.  I went with my usual light jazz and oldies, and threw in lots of my favourites:  Nikki Yanofsky, Susie Arioli, Barbra Lica, Emilie-Claire Barlow and Alex Pangman, as well as oldies such as Frank Sinatra, Huey Lewis and Stevie Wonder.

I'm opening the show with "Love is Blue" by Paul Muriat.  Mostly because nothing else really came to mind.  Nothing has happened yet, the audience has no idea what the play is really about, and that's good, generic romantic music.  The other songs I'm using, in order are: "Possibilities" by Freddie Stroma, "I Got You" by James Brown, "Love to Love You" by Donna Summer, "Taking Care of Business" by BTO, "I Need You" by the Beatles, "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, "Walk Like a Man" by the Four Seasons (there's some stuff about Jersey Boys in the show), "Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups, "How Can I Be Sure" by the Rascals at the top of Act 2, "Run For Your Life" by the Beatles, "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge, "Who Loves You" by the Four Seasons, and "Hey Good Lookin'" by Hank Williams for the curtain call.  Exit music is "Love Will Keep Us Together" by the Captain and Tenille.

That's it.  Technical rehearsals all next week, and there'll probably be some minor changes.  Come check it out, if you can.

Until next time, 

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment