Saturday, May 25, 2013

Who Maid Who -- Update

I changed my mind during the tech rehearsal week.  The music which I had put together earlier, and never used, just sounded too dated for this play, Who Maid Who.  It was a lot of 40's music, which really had no reason to be the soundtrack for this play.  So I redid it.

Now it's a lot of more modern stuff, mostly easy-listening and soft jazz vocalists.  I don't go back any further than the 60's, and then just stuff that fits into the mould.  Ella Fitzgerald and Johnny Cash are the vintage ones.  Pretty much everything else is from the last fifteen years or so.

The producer, after I had made the new Preshow and Intermission music, called out from the audience and asked me if I had ever heard of the song "Paper Doll" by the Mills Brothers.  Of course, I answered, cued it up and played it from my computer.  "That song would be perfect in this show!" he said.  I hesitated.  "Uh, why?" I asked.  Nothing about dolls, or paper in the show.  Oh, it just would be, he said.  It's from the 1930's, I told him.  Nothing else that old is in the show.  Fortunately the director piped up, "Oh, I like it just the way it is."  Thank you Madam director!  Hey, "Paper Doll" is a great tune.  I just couldn't see any reason for it to be in this show.

And I'm using the cork pop after all.  During a rehearsal I played it anyway, right on top of "Let's Get It On" and the director called out from the audience "I heard it!" so I left it in.  Probably half the audience doesn't even notice, but I do.

I think that's all.  The play is going along tickety-boo, and is getting lots of laughs.  What are you waiting for?

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment