Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Illegal Downloads

Yeah, illegal downloads.  It seems like everyone is doing it these days.  I showed my teenage daughter how a few years ago, now I'm sure she's way ahead of me in knowledge--how and where.

But I'm against it.  Musicians need to make a living too.  They spend a lot of money on recording studios, expensive instruments and equipment, lessons (sometimes) and spend years getting their sound the way they want it.

After all, you wouldn't shoplift, would you?  Well, most of us wouldn't anyway...  So why is it okay to steal music?

I try really, really hard not to.  I have an iTunes account for when I need one song, usually for a show I'm doing the music for.  And I still buy CDs.  I've always spent a lot of money on music, and that hasn't changed.

But I still do the odd *illegal* download.  And, in my mind it doesn't qualify as illegal.  Here's why.

I've been buying records since the 60s.  And I still have every record I've ever purchased.  I have, literally, tens of thousands of records in my basement.  Everything from 78s, 45s, 33s to CDs.  I still have a garage full of cassettes, from when my wife and I had cassette decks in our cars.  The cassettes are still there, even though we've both had CD players for the last eight years.  Heck, I even have a few 8 Track tapes in there, I'm pretty sure.

I still have a turntable, and I can connect it to my computer.  Is that illegal?  Hmm, I don't think so, at least not in Canada it isn't.  So, let's say I need "Norwegian Wood" by the Beatles for a show.  The only Beatles CDs I have are: Love, 1, Yellow Submarine Songtrack, the Anthology series and Live at the BBC.  Norwegian Wood isn't on any of those.  So I guess I'll have to get my old LP out and record it onto my computer.

But wait.  Back in 2009, someone posted all the Beatles albums on the Internet.  And, while they were there, I downloaded them.  After all, I already bought them, and paid for them.  The songs are exactly the same.  Some would argue that my vinyl sounds better than the 320kbps MP3 files, some would argue the MP3 files are better.  I'm not getting into this argument--what I'm saying is, whether I play the song from my vinyl record, or play the MP3, is the audience at the theatre going to know the difference?  Or care?

Some people WOULD notice the snap, crackle and pops from the vinyl record.  And I could use a programme that would eliminate many of them, and I could go through the WAV file slowly and delete a whole bunch more.  But why should I, when the MP3 is already as good as it gets?

Anyway, I'm not saying I never illegally download, but I try not to.  Especially with new or young artists.  Mick Jagger probably doesn't need any more of my money.  But young artists, just starting out, trying to make a living, I think they deserve the support.  I mean, don't steal Mick Jagger's music either, but I think you know what I mean.  Mick won't starve or have to work at McDonald's if you don't buy his next album.

Anyway, I still like having a physical CD.  Yes, it's a lot smaller than the old 12" square LPs but there is still a cover photo, and a back cover photo with a list of the songs and most of the time a booklet with lyrics, more photos, credits, sometimes a bio...  And you'll always have the music--if you buy a new computer you just rip the CD onto it.

And iTunes is great too.  For 99 cents, or $1.29 you get a song.  That's cheaper than  a 45 would be if it still existed.  And it's legal, and everyone gets paid.  Win win.

Back in the 50s artists would do concert tours because it was the only way some of them would make any money.  I guess there were a lot of crooked managers, producers and record companies then, and very little money seemed to trickle down to the musicians.  Perhaps it will get like that again, where artists really don't make very much money from their recordings, and have to play concerts to make a living.  We get to see our favourite artists in the flesh, there's usually a lot of excitement and merchandise for sale (often at ridiculous prices, I'll admit).  Is that what the future holds, again, for our pop stars of the future?


What do you think?  Can you justify stealing music?  Is it really stealing when it's so easy?

Speaking of concerts, next time let's talk about them.  If you have any great memories or opinions let me know and I'll include them.  Email me at macblanc@gmail.com.  Until next time I'm

Michael,  20 February 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment